Finally, Some Side Progress

I had a modest challenge, following the last round of coding. I had my “accelerating / velocity” physics mutator working, and now I needed to add a “wrap” flag to it, allowing objects to move from one side to the other. Easy enough, right?

NO, of course not!

First, I managed to distract myself for quite some time rigging a meter to track FPS over time. But, that mission was accomplished eventually! Then I got the wrap mutator working, which was actually pretty easy.

So far, so good. Time for collision checking! This was, surprisingly, almost easy. But then I realized that sure, the traces SAID collisions were happening, but I couldn’t SEE them, so how did I know if they were right? Tappity tappity, now game objects had a “dirty” flag AND were responsible for drawing themselves, contingent on “collided” state. (It’s just a “top-right-triangle-brute-force” kinda thing; I’ll probably have dozens of game objects in a ~900×900 space, so there’s no need to move towards a quadtree or anything fancy.)

Then I broke my build. I don’t know how I did this, but some combination of bad SVN checkin / update / weak SVN-fu completely busted my build. In frustration, I deleted the whole project, checked it back out, manually deleted every built SWF I found, and… all was good with the world again.

In happiness, I added background image loading to the game area, and then a click-to-spawn-game-object handler. Progress is good.

BounceTune 5/31 screenshot
At least it’s getting a little prettier!

About Tachevert

A cofounder of www.WorldIV.com and full-time geek, Tachevert writes about whatever strikes his fancy. Despite the inherent contradiction, he can often be found videogaming or attempting to run.
This entry was posted in Development. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to "Finally, Some Side Progress"

Leave a reply